McGuigans To Reunite

It has been over 160 years since two brothers, Henry and James McGuigan left their beloved family and home in Ireland for an incredible adventure searching for gold in the far distant land of Australia. I am travelling from Australia to our ancestral homeland to meet McGuigan relations living in and around Maghera Northern Ireland. Our McGuigan family has lived in this area since the 1700's and possibly even earlier. This historic journey back to Ireland with its majestic scenery, inspiring people and history promises to be filled with excitement and amazing discoveries culminating in the gathering of the clan at Maghera on Sunday 22nd July 2012 for a day of joyous celebration. My much anticipated adventure begins on Friday 29th June 2012......

Monday 30 July 2012

Day 31 London England Monday 30th July 2012

Well, today is the day when this fantastic trip ends as my flight home to Perth leaves Heathrow at 2.15pm this afternoon. I have had the time of my life and my "Who Do You Think You Are" adventure has lived up to all its expectations and more! I think it will take me 6 months to digest everything that has happened during the past month. I have seen and done SO many things which I had been dreaming of for a long time. I shall never ever forget the wonderful people I have met and these friendships will be everlasting.


Our day spent at Olympic Park yesterday was brilliant although very tiring as we had to walk so far.
It started with the Hockeyroos at 8.30 am which was a great game but the Kiwis were just too good for our girls. Hopefully they can bounce back in their next game. After the hockey we walked 20 mins to the basketball stadium to have a look. As luck would have it the Boomers were playing Brasil in an hours time. We saw a queue so asked what was going on. The attendant told us it was for recycled tickets and that if any came available we could buy them for 5 pounds- we couldnt believe our luck! We waited until one minute before the game started and then they called us up to the counter to get our tickets. We were SO EXCITED as you can imagine! We ran into the stadium as they were playing the Australian national anthem and it was awesome to get to our seats just before the game started. It was an amazing atmosphere in the stadium and we enjoyed every moment of it. It was an extremely close match and went right down to the wire with the roof lifting off due to supporters from both sides screaming their heads off. Bad luck to the Boomers but hopefully they can win their next match and keep their medals chances alive.


It took us over 2 hours to get back to our hotel with thousands of people all trying to do the same thing. Dave, you would have hated it as even I was stuggling in amongst these aggressive crowds.
We finally got home around 6pm and were exhausted after our very fast and furious days at the 2012 London Olympics. But oh what a great time we had and it was an experience that we never forget and I can now tell my future grandchildren that I attended the 2012 Olympics in London!

No comments:

Post a Comment