McGuigans To Reunite

It has been over 160 years since two brothers, Henry and James McGuigan left their beloved family and home in Ireland for an incredible adventure searching for gold in the far distant land of Australia. I am travelling from Australia to our ancestral homeland to meet McGuigan relations living in and around Maghera Northern Ireland. Our McGuigan family has lived in this area since the 1700's and possibly even earlier. This historic journey back to Ireland with its majestic scenery, inspiring people and history promises to be filled with excitement and amazing discoveries culminating in the gathering of the clan at Maghera on Sunday 22nd July 2012 for a day of joyous celebration. My much anticipated adventure begins on Friday 29th June 2012......

Tuesday 24 July 2012

Day 25 Belfast Northern Ireland Tuesday 24th July 2012

Today will be a very sad day for me as I leave Ireland heading for the Olympics in London. I have had the time of my life over the past three and a half weeks and I will never ever forget this wonderful visit to my ancestral homeland. God willingly I hope to return someday.

Yesterday we said goodbye to Frank & Leonie and Peter & Loretta then Mary drove us to Belfast spending our last afternoon together. We stayed at The Merchant and I couldn't think of a more fitting place to spend our last night in Ireland. Mary, Lone and I enjoyed a magnificent High Tea at The Merchant. It was really hard saying goodbye to Mary but I guess all good times have to come to an end sometime. We now have to start planning Mary and Adrian's trip to Australia so we are all not too sad for too long. Look out Aussies the Irish McGuigan's are coming!
High Tea at The Merchant

After saying our tearful goodbyes to Mary, Lone and I did a little shopping then had dinner at The Cloth Ear. I finally got to taste the famous Belfast Bap which Lone and I shared and it was delicious.

The famous Belfast Bap.

We had an early night as our flight to Birmingham leaves at 8.30 am this morning. Our plans today include visiting Princess Diana's final resting place at Althorp Estate in Northhamptom then onto the Cotswolds. We are picking up a hire car at Birmingham airport and dropping it off in the centre of London on the eve of the Olympics - are we mad or what, God help us!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment